Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A WARM WEATHER FAVORITE, GAZPACHO


There is something satisfying in knowing that if I open my fridge, and if I've done a good grocery run,  I can make something that is filled with wonderful color, flavor and texture, and will make friends smile. Nothing screams warmer weather has arrived than a really good Gazpacho and the one I make is an absolute favorite!  And keeping with my mantra of "easy is good," this recipe is quickly made in the food processor. I just rough cut the ingredients and off to the processor they go...
Note: Coming soon will be more easy recipes  -- a easy corn salad, home made fruit and herb butters, Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Lemon Frosting, Blueberry Muffins and more...

1/2 Bermuda onion peeled and quartered
1 1/2 firm, medium cucumbers peeled
2 small green pepper -- I like to mix it up and also use red, orange and yellow peppers
6 medium-large tomatoes, peeled (I usually don't peel)
5 large garlic cloves
1 cup  tomato juice -- I like to use V-8 juice 
1/2 olive oil
3/4 tsp chili powder or some dashes of Tabasco (amount depends on how much kick you want)
1 tbs Kosher salt

With the metal blade in the food processor, add the onion and pulse on and off until finely chopped.  Place chopped onion into a large bowl.  Repeat with the cucumbers and peppers, adding each to the bowl with the onions.  Process 5 tomatoes until evenly chopped, transfer to the bowl with other ingredients.  Process the remaining tomato with the garlic, tomato juice, olive oil and chili powder until you have a smooth liquid.  Add to the bowl of other veggies, chill covered,  Before serving, salt to taste, and if too thick, add a bit more tomato or V-8 juice.
Makes approximately 1 1/2 quarts.
Recipe adapted from Barbara Kafka.




No comments:

Post a Comment