Monday, February 13, 2012

A Perfect Canvas to Build Upon

My trainer came over for dinner the other night.  The reason was to celebrate his engagement, but to also thank him for his patience with me, his friendship and to wish him well as he gets ready to move back to the West Coast. While figuring out what I wanted to make for dinner, I thought about our "relationship."  As a trainer he sees and works with many different people, and to him his clients are individual canvases, each unique and (usually) a blank slate when he began with each of us.  The idea of a blank canvas got me thinking that cooking is a blank canvas which we build upon.  Like building layers of muscle for healthy body, a food canvas is built upon layers of flavor, sometime bold, sometimes subtle, but always beginning with a blank canvas.
That brings me to what I made; something simple with layered flavors to give each bite the perfect sensation.  The Lemon Chicken recipe from Simply Recipes.com is ideal.  Chicken is the perfect canvas for building flavor, and truth be told, I love anything that has lemon in the recipe.  Here you have pieces of chicken hanging out in a bath of lemon juice, lemon zest chopped garlic, and great herbs such as Rosemary and Thyme.  After a great soak in the marinade, the chicken moves to a baking pan, is placed in the over with a brushing of butter. The end result is a fantastic dish that you'll come back to time and time again.
photo courtesy SimplyRecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment